1. jerry garcia: "testing. testing. can you hear me from here?
turn up the gain..." > (l = acoustic guitar, r = jerry garcia
acoustic guitar and vocals) start with "testing, testing" and
vocals > restart (about 1:23) > restart (about 1:33) >
dire wolf (x) (2:15)
2. dire wolf (l = acoustic guitar, r = jerry garcia acoustic guitar
and vocals) (5:30)
3. casey jones (falsetto at times) (2:5
4. false start > false start > high time (falsetto at times) >
jerry garcia: "one more time" (4:17) >
5. jerry garcia: "i'm doing each of them twice, so, umm..." >
high time (falsetto at times) (5:17)
6. acoustic blues (l = acoustic guitar, stops at about 5:25,
r = bottleneck el. guitar) (8:29)
7. "that's probably what's causing all the... and rumble" (0:09)
8. dire wolf (fast) (r = jerry garcia vocals and acoustic guitar,
l = jerry garcia acoustic guitar and vocals leak) (2:20) >
9. dire wolf (slower version) > "no, it's better fas..." (1:1 >
10. dire wolf > "rats." (1:1 >
11. jerry garcia: "okay, this is the start. right here."
unk.: "start of the whole thing?"
jerry garcia: "right." >
dire wolf (r = jg acoustic guitar and vocals, l - ac. guitar)
at about 9:26, the r channel is switched to both for about 6
12. high time (l = acoustic guitar, start then tuning) (0:39)
13. high time (l = acoustic guitar) (0:10)
14. high time (l = acoustic guitar, r = jerry garcia vocals) (x) (3:56)
portions were first aired on the kboo radio program
"Grateful Dead and Friends", hosted by matt smith
jerry garcia - acoustic guitar and vocals
unknown - acoustic guitar (possibly jerry garcia multitracked)
July 14, 2019 Subject:
Surely from 1969 rather than 1970
Engaging snapshot of the creative process. I would have made it a 5 star rating but for SQ and completeness, but my rating should be understood as reflecting its archaeological value rather than sound/performance quality.
Regarding the date, nearly all the tunes in this collection would be played by the full band starting midway through 1969, some of them haven't yet attained the form here they would have when they first hit the stage. (Though Dire Wolf sounds very much like the first live performance on 6-7-69, Garcia on acoustic guitar, and Casey Jones has the same steady beat as some of the first performances.)
This has to be from May or June of 69.
There's no way songs they had been playing for 6 months or so would sound this rough in early 1970 when they were rehearsing for Workingman's Dead.
January 11, 2015 Subject:
November 16, 2013 Subject:
What a great listen. W.D. taking form. I could listen to Casey Jones all night!
November 15, 2013 Subject:
Love the Dire Wolf!
June 25, 2013 Subject:
Five Million Stars
For me, who loves Jerry's music, this is priceless. Thank you.
November 11, 2011 Subject:
Superb listen, like Jerry's in the room with you, and hard to "find" due to the date.
March 30, 2010 Subject:
Miss ya Jerry
So nice to hear this comfotrtable laid back Jerry
March 8, 2010 Subject:
Casey Jones exhibits a nice singing style by Jerry Garcia.
March 9, 2009 Subject:
Don't be fooled by the lack of reviews
this is great. have only heard the first few so far but seems to be jerry playing around on an acoustic working on the arrangements for the tunes to be on workingmans. the sound is great for what it is, feels like he's sitting on a stool right there next to my desk.